Monday, December 13, 2010

Mikael's Vegetable Chili *****

Mikael's Vegetable Chili Recipe

Yield: 5 quarts (20 C.)
Weight Watchers Points=3pts per 1 C. serving

15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained

OR

2/3 C. dry kidney beans (I have never used dry, but thought I'd include the directions for food storage options)
2/3 C. dry pinto beans
2/3 C. dry black beans

1 1/2 large onions, diced
2 lbs 93% lean/7% fat ground beef ( I used 85% instead and rinsed it after cooking to lower the fat content)

28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (I used 2 cans of crushed instead of 1 of each)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 T. chili pwd.
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper (I used coarse)
1 T. bottled minced garlic (I have used fresh before also)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (crushed red pepper)
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 T. Liquid smoke, original flavor (found by spices)
3 small celery ribs, diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thinly (I have grated before) (This time I sliced baby carrots-about a cup or 2 before slicing)
2-4 anaheim peppers, diced (I used 4---they are not very hot)
3 bell peppers, diced (any color) (I used 3 green)
1 jalapeno, finely diced (wear gloves when chopping)

If using dry beans: Rinse Beans in a colander under running water, removing dirt clods or pebbles. Cover with water in a pot and cover with lid. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Turn off heat and let beans soak for at least 1 hour, but up to 12 hours. THis is important as it removes 95% of insoluble sugars which cause bloating and gas. It also begins the rehydration process. Drain, rinse, and discard soaking water. Cover beans with fresh water in crock pot and cook on low for 6-10 hours, or until fork tender. This cooking liquid is a wonderful inclusion in homemade chili, as it adds flavor and body-no need to drain at this point.

Brown beef with diced onion, until no longer pink, drain in metal colander and rinse with hot water to remove fat. (I forgot to add the onion when I was browning the hamburger, I added it in with the other chopped vegetables in the microwave).

I was worried about the veggies cooking all of the way (because I was pressed for time), so I cooked them for 6 minutes in the microwave before adding them to the chili.

Put all ingredients in 5-quart (big) slow cooker, add just enough water to cover (important) and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until vegetables are tender.

Like all tomato based recipes, it is better if you fully cook it, then let it cool fully and you can reheat it. So, best if made the day before. (But I didn't)
**** THIS SOUP IS SO SO SO SO SO GOOD. Love it. Thanks Mikael!

No comments: